Friday, August 26, 2011

College is Hard.

I have been in Virginia for a week and a half now.
I've finished a whole week of classes.
I've made friends
I have prayed a whole lot.
I have talked less than usual.
I have laughed and cried.

Summary of college so far: It is hard.

In college it's up to me. Not my teachers to tell me.
In college it's up to me. Not my Mom.
In college it's up to me. Not my friends who have always been there.

In college it's up to me.
And I like that.

I love being treated like I am an adult. Because I am an adult. I am appreciating the fact that I am not back home, because I know I wouldn't grow into the  woman God has called me to be back there. I needed to be taken out of my comfort zone to grow. I needed the push of His promise of provision. I needed the threat of change for my life. I needed the challenege of persuing question of "Who am I?"

Here at Liberty, I am forced to lean unto God for my strength.

College Faves:
  1. We talk about God in class!
  2. The schedule I am forced to live within.
  3. The work is constant and challenging.
  4. My relationship with God is growing already.
  5. I get to introduce Matt as my fiance daily!
  6. Every student on campus is prayed for DAILY.
  7. I am challenged in my faith daily.
  8. Running on campus.
  9. Packages!
  10. Constant exercise walking to class.
  11. Prayer groups, every Tuesday night.
  12. Studying and having dinner with my fiance every day.
  13. I am taking bible classes. They're so awesome!
  14. The true appreciation of food when you finally get a good meal!
  15. My roomates!
College Stinks!
  1. I need a job NOW.
  2. Liberty is full of rules that I don't always agree with.
  3. It is bloody hot and humid.
    • With freak thunder and rain storms every couple days.
  4. The celings and walls in our dorm are barely there, so we hear every footstep and celing falls on my in my sleep.
  5. My Anatomy lab is going to be hard.
  6. I'm terrible at math, so that class hasn't been fun.
  7. Textbooks are out of this world expensive.
  8. I'm super broke all the time.
  9. My bed time has been pushed back 3 hours.
  10. I am homesick and really miss everyone.
I don't feel like anyone can truely understand the meaning of homesick until you experience it. It's hard to be in a state that you don't have any friends. No one that knows the real you. No one that has seen what you can and will do for someone you love. No one that has seen you at your worst and who has proven themselves through that. No one that knows who you are, who you have been, and who you want to be. No one who you can call at 2 am and ask to come over.

And I have Matt, I can't imagine how I'd handle it without him.

I have learned a few things about myself from my week and a half at Liberty, some I'm comfortable with, and some I am ashamed to admit:
  1. I am shy when I don't know anyone.
  2. I can be extremely insecure, when I am around people who don't know my heart.
  3. I can be judgemental.
  4. I hate accents.
    • I used to think they were cute, now they're just annoying.
  5. I am not addicted to coffee, but I am much happier when it is in the picture.
For now, this is where my total college experience lays.

I really am enjoying it. Yes, It's hard, but I know this is where I am supposed to be. I know I am learning a lot, and I am making friends. I am confident that with each update on here, I will express more and more love for Liberty, college, and the Lord. And that is what is most important.

Love, love, love.
xo/Austin

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there, sweetie. Your priorities are sound. And the hardest part is over. Never again will EVERYTHING be new and unknown. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. When your Great Grandmother Hayes went to Baptst Institute (BI) in Philadelphia she was so homesick she truly thought she would die. It turned out to be the greatest experience of her life and she made lifelone friends. Her assignment as a missionary was at Oneida Baptist Institure in Oneida, KY, where she met her future husband. Love following your life "by blog"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there Austin! Just remember that Matt knows what you are going through. At least you do not have to do it completely on your own, you have your fiance. Your family will always be here for you, but you are making life long friends in Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Austin jean rogers, i love you more then you will ever know and i know that you will succeed in every way over in Virgina. You have a purpose there and you will soon learn what it is as you continue to grow. i miss you more then words can express but i know that our friendship will always be there. No matter the distance And never worry about not making friends, you absolutely will and they will soon learn on how great of a friend you can truly be:] love you girl

    ReplyDelete