Friday, May 13, 2011

Homeward Bound.

AHHH! Matt is on his way home as I write this. He left Tuesday from Virginia and is in Montana now! It is almost impossible to believe that this year apart is almost over! Look at it now, seems like it flew by! But I know that hasn’t always been the case.

It’s funny to think how perspective can change a situation. Whatever the truth is in the matter, perspective is what makes it awesome or terrible. For example, the fact is that he has been gone for about 10 months. But your perspective is what makes the situation the worst thing ever or something positive.

When he first left, all I could see was the next 10 months ahead of us. I listened to everyone who said “It must be SO hard” and “I could never do it.” It was terrible. All I could think about was being miserable and sad that Matt was gone. Worried something wouldn’t work out. Afraid. Then somehow, I decided to give it all to God. I decided that there was no reason to worry, because God had a plan for this. He knew there was a reason for it! And the moment I let God take control, it all seemed to make sense again.

When I decided to give God the reigns, I realized reasons why He had us 2,500 miles apart. He was making us stronger. He was giving me the opportunity to focus solely on Him rather than having my attention on Matt. He was giving me a reason to go to Liberty. He was letting us both grow up a little bit on our own. He was teaching us communication. He was teaching us how to be responsible. He was teaching us how to love each other only after loving Himself.

I am so thankful this year apart is almost over. And I cannot wait to spend this summer with Matt! But I am also so thankful for the time apart. I know full heartedly that God has used it in our relationship already, and will continue to use it throughout our entire relationship.

I can’t count how many people have said “How do you do it? I could never.” Usually I don’t really respond to this; because that’s what I used to think too. Before Matt and I started dating, I PRAYED and PRAYED that God would change my heart from how I felt about him. Because I knew he was leaving in August. I didn’t think I’d be able to make it a year without being close to him. I didn’t know what would happen. Would we not even try? Would we try and fail? Or would we get married? Crazy fears and worries went through my mind. But with Matt’s confidence and God ignoring my prayers for Him to change my heart, I figured there was a reason for it all, and jumped head first. We both fell pretty hard pretty fast. And before I knew it, I was in love.

For people thinking about not even trying because of a long distance relationship, here’s some advice: 1. A relationship is all about trust, you won’t make it without 100% trust in each other. 2. Focus on the positive possibilities from the situation, don’t be so pessimistic. 3. Trust God with your relationship, even long distance ones. 4. Talk about your BF/GF to people in your everyday life like they’re an everyday part of life, so when they get back, everyone is supportive and excited with you. 5. Don’t give up right away! The beginning is the hardest, give it a chance.

Thank you God for giving Matt and me the opportunity and the strength to make it through this year apart! And THANK YOU GOD it’s over! AMEN!

xo/Austin



No comments:

Post a Comment