Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Secrets of a Barista.

I have been back in Washington for about 4 days now.
I have worked every day since I have been back.
It has been such a blessing getting to make some money!


It's funny how things like making coffee come right back, just like riding a bike!

I decided that it is time everyone gets to see what is going on in the heads of their barista's though.

It's like a whole other world behind the counter in our little drive through box of caffeine, and because you are reading this blog... you get some secrets straight from a barista! ;]

One:

Lovely customers, when the neon "OPEN" sign is not on... No, we are not open. So please refrain from driving up after we close, waiting for me to come to the window, and disappointing you for not making an exception to the rules just to make you a drink past closing time... Because you're wasting both of our times. If we were open, I would turn on the "OPEN" sign.

Two:

I am sorry that I am the one to tell you this... But there is no such thing as a "Grande, 12oz" drink or an iced cappuccino... 

Three:

When you order 9 shots of white coffee, the chances are you're actually getting nine, half-shots of white coffee. I'm sorry, but I'm not being charged with assisted suicide for when your heart stops from caffeine overload.


Four:

Rarely do we actually know your name... But you can basically count on us knowing what car you drive, what you drink, where you work, and who you're dating. Apparently after that our memories are no longer receptive.

Five:

It is still weird to us when you get whip cream on your sugar-free, non-fat latte.

Six:

As much as it's good for... Please spare us the nickel tip. 

Seven:

It's really loud in there... So if you see a lot of smiling, nodding, and forced laughter during our conversation, I probably can't hear you. It's not for a lack of trying though, I promise.

Eight:

If you're going to wear a blue tooth, we ask that you put it on the side we can see so we don't answer your questions to the person on the phone.


Nine:

When we have been working too long and talking too fast, words get jumbled. If you notice mispronunciation or slurred words, feel free to laugh. EXAMPLE: "Mochanut"

Ten:

If we mistake your kid for a dog or vise versa, cut us some slack, we can't see through your tinted windows, we are only judging which it is based on your interaction with the said "kid-dog." {Yes, I have mistaken a child for a dog... I was not cut any slack.}


Disclaimer: these are only secrets of a Clancy's Coffee Barista, I can't speak for baristas of other locations.

I will say, this job is the best.

The interaction with people never gets boring, I love the girls I work with so much, I have fun making coffee, and my boss is awesome! 

Thank goodness for Clancy's!

I truly feel blessed to have the privilege of working at such a fun environment with such amazing people!

Savor these secrets, not many people know them! 

Love and Coffee,
xo/Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment