Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pearl of Wisdom.


Do you ever wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

Not just grumpy, but soaking in your own self pity?

I do sometimes. 

Today was one of those days. 

I woke up and had to go to my 8 am lab that I really hate, so that obviously started my day off on a poor note.

Most days I am great and happy and thankful and level headed.

Then there are those "girl days."

That's what I choose to call it, because thats what it is! It's one of those days I act like a girl. 

I have a friend who openly admits that he believe every girl is crazy. He says some are less crazy than others, and some almost never show their crazy sides, but every once in awhile that crazy side will come out and you will see her act like a "girl." 

So through my morning I was kind of moping. And have you ever noticed that when your head is in a place of self pity that everything in your life seems to be about a million times worse than it was when you went to bed only 8 hours before, yet nothing in your life has changed? That's how I know Randy is right in saying we're all crazy.

Only, I think guys have their crazy sides too. 

The truth is guys, not only are we "crazy," but we're selfish.



This morning when I was in my mood I wasn't thinking about anyone but myself

Poor me, I miss home.

Poor me, they don't treat me how they should treat me.

Poor me, school is hard.

Poor me, I need a job.

Poor me, I'm broke.

Poor me, poor me, poor me.

The problem with that is that thinking solely about yourself is 100% against what the bible tells us to do. 

As the day went forward, I began to think about what was so devastating in my life. 

These are the things I came up with...


  1. I am a broke college student. Which I very quickly realized that the statement is an oxymoron. Simply by being enrolled in a private University like Liberty makes me a part of the top 2% of the richest people in the world. Whoa. Talk about humbling.
  2. I miss home. But I get to talk with the people I love and miss every day if I choose through my iPhone or MacBook. Not to mention the fact that the people I miss are alive and well, it's not like I am missing someone I will never see again.
  3. I'm tired... because you get the privilege to wake up to go to class so you can get a higher education that will result in a degree in the field of study you love. You poor thing.
  4. I need a car. Do you need a car? How does the other 80+% of the world get by without those? I think you'll be fine.
At that point I stopped because it became apparent to me that my problems were problems that the very high majority of the world couldn't even imagine being so lucky to have such a "problem."

Then God slapped me in the face.



I was reading in Romans and this is what I found:
"We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he forknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn within a large family. And those whom he predestined he also called; and those whom he called he also justified; and those whom he justified he also glorified." Romans 8:28-30
 For me this caused such an impact. Not only are the "problems" in my life not problems, but they are blessings.

That passage promises that not only did my God predestine me for His purpose, but he promises that for those who love Him, all things work for the good.

I have read this many times before but it's called the "living word" for a reason. God spoke to me through this today and showed me how much he loves me.

I was so humbled that the one and only God who made this earth and everything in it predestined me. He had a plan for me from the beginning and he promises that as long as I love him everything in my life will work for good. 

Something I need to be aware of is that sometimes God's good isn't what looks good to me from my angle. But news flash, God knows more than you. He's smarter than you. And though you might think you know what is right, you never know better than God.

So today I chose to give self pity to the Lord and instead accept his promises on my life. 

I choose to be thankful for my trials and even better see them as tools to work for God's good and ultimately my good.

Question: What in your life do you let self pity take over for? Is it really that bad? Could it be that God is really using it to better your life? I don't know, think about it.

xo|Austin


5 comments:

  1. Its so true! I remind myself of it everyday. These worldly distractions take away from God.

    I should read some Romans soon :)

    -Christan Cannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing Chris! :] it's encouraging to know someone knows what I'm talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, could I relate to this post, Austin. I have those self-pity days, too. I feel sorry for myself because of my health issues (did you know I got diagnosed with MS?), feeling like I don't have any friends, and being stuck at home without a car (we are down to one car now). I'm glad we're able to talk some sense into ourselves on these self-pity days...atleast most of the time. lol.

    I love your blog so much, Austin. You are an inspiration. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicki, Yeah I knew you were diagnosed. It is very sad, but I think we all kind of thought that was the case anyway, am I right? Sounds like we have a lot of the same issues going on right now! (No car, no friends) Thank you for commenting! :] I love yours too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, that's true about my diagnosis, Austin. Took them long enough, huh? :)

    Now I know how to pray for you since we are facing similar challenges!

    Love you always. Hug!

    ReplyDelete